Sunday, January 24, 2016

My Writing Process



I'm gonna be honest, the idea of writing this blog shakes my being to the core. For as long as I can remember, I've been a man whose strengths revolved around mathematics and science. Writing has always been tough for me, especially when I was asked to write about my feelings or emotions or something similar. I always answered to the call of duty, however, and gave my all in every writing assignment, anxiously waiting for the day when I graduated from school and never had to write another blasted paper as a mathematics major in college. So here I am in college writing another blasted paper as a mathematics major, but I still will give these assignments my everything.

Hat, Fashion, Style, Happy, Man, Hipster, Adult
    McGuire, Ryan "Hat Fashion Style Happy Man 01/09/2015 via Pixabay Public Domain Dedication

Word of advice: I'm kinda a scatterbrain (hence the strange man staring  through the computer screen), so please don't mind the strange logic leaps and reasoning below)

1: What type of writer to you consider yourself to be?

Every since I can remember, every paper I've ever turned in has been last minute. It's not that I'm extremely lazy nor careless like my fellow procrastinators of the world; I like the challenge. Nothing is more satisfying than racing against the clock, and I take pride in whizzing through my assignments like a speed demon. This may sound like the worst excuse for being a procrastinator, but I'm here to assure you that my adrenaline fueled writing style is the only way for me to feel truly inspired. I procrastinate for entirely selfish reasons, and I apologize to all my previous and current teachers that must deal with my self-centered ways.

2: Does your writing include several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?

In addition to being a procrastinator, I'm a "heavy reviser". I say "heavy reviser" in quotes since I usually only write one final draft for all of my papers, so it's technically impossible to be a reviser if I don't write more than one draft. Instead of writing several drafts, I often take each paper I write one sentence at a time. I usually construct several sentences that could possibly follow-up on the previous sentence. After constructing, I usually pick the one I'm mostly satisfied with and add in details from my other sentences that I feel should still be incorporated. Rinse and  repeat. Eventually, I'll end up with a paper at 11:58 pm on a Sunday night.

3: Does your writing process seem to be successful? What are strengths and weaknesses in your approach?

I've had several calls (all of which just fuel my unhealthy ego), but I've never failed to turn in a "bad paper". All of my English grades over the past decade have been exceptional. Furthermore, I've passed both of the AP English exams, which I feel is a decent accomplishment. There is one absolutely huge weakness my writing style: my mother. My mother used to be a newspaper editor in college, and is the stereotypical bossy Asian mother. Don't get the wrong idea I love her to death, but I hate her for how much she wants to edit my papers and add in her own style of writing into it. My mother is a FAR better writer than I am, and whenever she edits my papers they come out better than my original draft, but as a rebellious teenager, I don't want my mother to touch my work.

4: Do you think it would be beneficial for you to try a different approach?

I think it would be healthy to try a different approach, but I don't know if the final product would turn out better. Either way, I think it would be at least interesting to see how different my paper would be. If I had to guess, I think that the language, grammar, and vocabulary would be flawless, but the overall feeling of the paper would be uninspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment